Frequently Asked Questions - Investments and Fiduciary Interests

Not necessarily. In order to check whether the company is doing business in Ohio or holds a certificate of compliance authorizing it to do business in Ohio, you should contact the corporation or the Secretary of State’s office.  Adv. Op. No. 2011-01.

You are required to disclose the name of any corporation incorporated in Ohio or holding a certificate of compliance to do business in Ohio in which you have investments of over $1,000 during any calendar year. Even if your broker actually makes the investments on your behalf, the investments are for your use or benefit. Therefore, you are required to disclose the individual holdings in the brokerage account. You are not required to disclose an account number or other personal identifying information.  Adv. Op. No. 2011-01 more fully describes how investments must be disclosed, and includes a quick reference chart.

No. PERS is a public agency, not a corporation, trust, business trust, partnership, or association that transacts business in Ohio. Therefore, you are not required to disclose a PERS investment. The same answer would apply for any other public retirement fund and to the Social Security Administration.

However, if you are receiving social security income or income from a public or private retirement fund, you would have to disclose the Social Security Administration or the retirement fund as the source of income.

Yes. You are required to disclose any mutual fund or other investment in which you have an investment through Deferred Compensation.

You are required to disclose the trust. You are also required to disclose any investments held within the trust that are over $1,000 in value.  Adv. Op. No. 2005-01.